At ReachOut, we have a safeguarding duty towards all of our young people. Because of this, volunteers are required to have a DBS check (criminal background record check) and must have received their DBS certificate before they can start mentoring. DBS checks can take anything between a week and three months to be completed, so we ask that you start your application as today so there are no delays. ReachOut will cover the cost of your DBS check, however, if you make any mistakes on your application (i.e incorrect address), you will need to pay for a re-print of the certificate, or a whole new application.
Before you start your application, please let us know if you have a criminal record. This will not necessarily prevent you from getting involved, but we will get in touch to discuss details with you and take it from there.
Please complete an online DBS application using one of the below links:
London: DBS Application
Manchester/Oldham/Liverpool: DBS Application
- Find three forms of valid ID. Most people use their passport, driving license and an official letter showing their current address (council tax bill, bank statement etc.). For a full list of accepted IDs, click here.
- Before you attend your ReachOut Mentor Training, complete the online DBS application by clicking one of the above links. Please ensure all of your personal details are correct. The address you enter at this stage is where your certificate will be sent to, so please do not use an address that you know you will not be living in in a couple of months time. You will need to upload scans of two of your ID (one which proves your full name and one which proves your date of birth) to the online application.
- We then need to see your three forms of ID in person at one of our ID-checking meetings. You will receive more information about this after you have attended the mentor training.
- We will check your personal details match your DBS application and submit it for processing. If your details do not match, we will ask you to edit your application accordingly.
- Your DBS application will be processed by your local police department. This can take anything between a week and 3 months depending on how busy they are. Unfortunately at this stage we cannot do anything to speed up your application.
- Once your application has been processed and approved, you will receive your certificate in the post, at the home address used in the application. Please keep your DBS certificate safe. The school you will volunteer at will need your certificate before you start mentoring. You are required to bring your certificate and a form of ID to your first session to show your Project Leader. Please note that ReachOut does not receive a copy of your certificate.
- Have your DBS certificate with you at your first mentoring session to show the ReachOut team. Your DBS certificate is valid for three years with us, as long as you keep your paper certificate safe.